Topsides Painted, Prop & Zincs

Today I completed almost all the final things needed to be ready for launch. In the morning I had the yard pick the boat up and move it on its cradle so I could paint under the stands. It was fascinating to see her move for the first time!

image

image

image

image

I had to sand, remove a couple blisters, fill them, sand again, apply barrier coat, then antifouling. The whole process took about ten hours.

In between waiting for coats of putty and paint to dry I put another couple of coats on the topsides and got them looking pretty good. Not perfect; it started raining lightly so I was dealing with water running through my paint job, many bugs that wanted to stick in the paint, a slight shortage of paint, and general lack of time. It really needed to fully dry, be sanded once, and a final finishing coat done, then it would have really looked good. As it is now, it’s good enough for a first year of sailing. I’ll finish it up nicer next year.

Iwai-San also helped me reinstall the prop, add new zinc anodes on the prop shaft, and paint a couple coats of special antifouling for metal parts on the prop, shaft and engine intake strainer.

Oh, and I also put a final coat of paint on the walls of the aft cabin. It was a busy day!

That marks most of the the remaining things that need to be done before launch. Current plan is to launch tomorrow afternoon!

Facebook Comments