Propulsion Systems Go!

Today was a good day with a lot of progress, thanks to all the help I received. At times there were up to 6 people working on Watari at once! My co-workers Masuda and Ejima came out today and helped with various tasks from removing deck fittings to scraping the old blue non-skid off the deck. Renowned sailmaker Toya-sensei from Hood …

The Big List Updated

  A few more things crossed off the list since last week:  Bottom: Needs to be scraped & sanded down to the gelcoat, in some areas even right to the glass Throughhulls repaired/redundant ones glassed over Some osmosis blisters filled, and thousands of gelcoat chips filled and faired Several coats of barrier coat and a few coats of anti-fouling Cove stripe …

Boat Skirt

Now that the hull is completely sanded, the keel joint opened, and the few osmosis blisters there were ground out, the hull needs to completely dry out before filling, fairing, and applying the epoxy barrier coat. I’m fortunate in that winter/early spring in Japan is usually quite dry, and the hull is already starting to dry out fairly well. However, …

International Offshore Racer #1296

Today I raised the mainsail for the first time. There was no wind and I wanted to inspect it as I’ll be ordering a new one. The old sail is very old indeed: I discovered something interesting, Watari is racing number 1296, which is the boat featured in the original catalogue. So this is an actual picture of my boat …

Bent Strut Fixed

Today was quite a productive day. I finally fixed the bent strut that supports the propeller shaft. This is something that I’d been concerned about since I first saw the boat. I expected it to be quite hard to bend the strut back properly, so I planned to remove it from the hull and take it into the marina’s shop …

Naming the Vessel: “Watari”

It’s a difficult task naming, or in this case re-naming a vessel, not to be taken lightly. Her current name is “La Seine”, which is a nice enough name I suppose, but doesn’t hold any particular meaning to me and in my mind doesn’t quite fit her personality. Initially I was thinking of naming her the Jedway II after my …

The Big List Updated

Well, it was a long day, but she’s all sanded. Feels good to have that milestone reached. Now she can dry out for a month until I fill and fair the hull and paint the barrier coat and anti-fouling. No pic because it was already dark when finished, but here’s an update of The Big List: This will be a …

Removing the Engine

Today’s forecast was for rain in the afternoon, so I used the morning to finish sanding the bottom on the port side. It’s nice to reach the milestone of having at least one side done: Once the rain hit I switched to working on the interior. Because I want to do a complete maintenance overhaul on the engine, clean it …

Paint Planning

I’ve been researching what the best fillers, barrier coats, antifouling, topside, interior and deck paints are. Based on availability of materials here in Japan, and budget vs quality, the following is my plan so far: Resin: WestSystem 105 epoxy with 206 hardener in kit form, using pump system for measurement ease of use. I’ll use this epoxy resin for repairing …

Interior Planning

Here are some pictures of the interior. I took these to get an idea of what needs to be repaired and to use as a planning reference. So far the major repairs are: Painting: The entire hull interior and bulkheads need to be sanded and painted with white polyurethane paint. Cabin sole: The previous owner removed the centre section and …