Marina Crane

I found this quite interesting. The Marina where Watari is located now is up on a sea wall. There’s no dock or pier to tie up to. This seems to be the standard all around Japan, they build large sea walls, but don’t construct docks or piers around them. Most likely because of the massive typhoon waves which come each …

Replacing Throughhulls Update

The last major issue that needs to be taken care of before the boat can launch is a pretty big one: there are currently two gaping holes in the hull. One is from a redundant knot meter I removed, the other is for the engine cooling water intake. It turns out both are going to have to be fiberglassed over. …

Bow Pulpit Re-installed

Today I only had a half day to work on the boat, but we managed to complete one large project: re-installing the newly straightened and welded bow pulpit. It was a difficult, complex affair to get everything lined up and bolted down, requiring the use of Watari’s many winches as well as a few other block and tackles to bend …

Adventures in Epoxy

Although Watari’s hull is constructed of fiberglass cloth laid up with polyester resin, I’ll be using epoxy resin to repair her keel, close up unneeded throughhulls, and fill various repairs. Epoxy is more expensive than poly, but it bonds better and is more water resistant, making it the preferred choice for boat repairs these days in most parts of the …

Interior Renovations

Today was very rainy so we worked inside the boat. What started out as a project to measure wiring for a new bow light turned into ripping out all the old, water-damaged wood paneling in the saloon. Masuda-san and I enjoyed the morning’s work with hammer and crowbar. Because the former owner had let water sit in the boat the …

New Cockpit Drain Scuppers

The past week was quite rainy, which meant that the boat filled up with rain water. This is due to a couple of reasons, one being that all keel-stepped masts leak a little, and Watari really lives up to her “watery” name in this regard. The second is that I’ve spent the two weeks trying to source new cockpit drain …

Bow Pulpit Repaired

Last weekend was quite busy, and I made a good amount of progress. I completed several small jobs as well, but the biggest advancement was repairing the smashed up bow pulpit and stanchions which hold the lifelines. The former owner seemed to have trouble docking the boat, as the bow rail had been smashed and repaired several times. I had to …

Engine Re-installed

Last weekend I completed the overhaul of the engine by replacing the rusted, worn out engine mounts and exhaust mixer elbow. I cleaned out the engine room to prepare for re-install: I also re-stuffed the driveshaft stuffing box, installed the new driveshaft coupler (the old one was damaged removing the shaft), and we re-installed the engine: The straightened prop shaft …

The Big List Updated

This weekend a lot of progress was made, but I’m too tired now to write about it all. So for now, just an update of the big list with things crossed off: A few more things crossed off since last week:  Bottom: Needs to be scraped & sanded down to the gelcoat, in some areas even right to the glass Keel …

Replacing Throughhulls

Today it rained most of the day so I worked on several projects inside or under the boat. The first project was to remove an old knotmeter (speedometer) through hull housing. This was an aluminium tube which bolted through the hull and had a twist on cap on the interior end. The device which fits inside was gone and the …