Mainsheet Traveler, Engine Intake, Exhaust

Today the morning was rainy and it blew a gale all day, so I spent the day working inside the boat. I was able to find the original fiddle pulleys, cam cleats, and traveler pulleys to properly rig up the mainsheet traveler again, and the Marina gave me a line for the mainsheet that was just the right size. The …

Bottom Paint Completed!

Today was another long, long day, but some good progress was made. The bottom is finally finished! First thing this morning I filled and sanded a few imperfections that had become visible now that the first layers of barrier coat were on. After that we painted another layer of gray barrier coat: The reason for the different color of barrier …

Epoxy Barrier Coat

Today was an epic battle with some bad putty that wouldn’t dry. Two days ago I mixed up a batch of epoxy putty in the dark, as a last minute rush job before the marina closed. I used it to put a finishing layer on most of one side of the hull. I guess I got the hardener ratio wrong …

Hull Painting Prep, New Bilge Pump

This morning I took a different route than usual to the boat yard and stopped by to have a look at the Kisarazu yacht harbour. This is where I’ll keep Watari for her first few nights until she’s ready to sail to her more permanent home. It’s an interesting harbour, a bunch of pilings to moor to out at an …

More Fairing the Keel

I was originally hoping to launch Watari by the end of this month (tomorrow), but a combination of rainy weather and busy work schedule has pushed the target launch date to around the 5th. As of today I’m on Golden Week holiday though, and have an uninterrupted ten day span to work on her. Today I spent the whole day …

Fairing the Keel

Today’s plans to paint the topsides were spoiled by an unforcasted rain torrent throughout the morning. In the morning I worked on painting the aft cabin instead. The rest of the day I worked on filling and fairing the keel and hull while Kiwako sanded. Yesterday’s epoxy was all dry and looking nice and smooth, but there were still indents …

Keel, Topsides, Aft Cabin, New Mainsail!

Today was a busy day, with good progress made thanks to Masuda, Toriuchi, and Toya-sensei! In the morning I sanded smooth the layers of fiberglass I applied the other day to prepare for another layer: I then mixed up a batch of epoxy resin and wetted out the area with a roller:   Next we applied a layer of fiberglass …

JCI Inspection Passed!

I’m very happy to announce that Watari has passed her JCI inspection! I’d like to give a big thanks to the staff at Kisarazu marina who showed the inspector the boat in my absence. Apparently she passed with no trouble, except for a request to updated the faded sticker that shows where lifejackets are stored. Now she’s registered properly in …

Name Decals

Today the new name decals arrived! My mother, who is an artist, designed the name and had these decals made in Canada then shipped them to me. I think they look great, and can’t wait to apply them! Hopefully I’ll be able to paint the topsides where they’ll go this weekend. Facebook Comments

Fiberglassing the Keel, Lights

Just over a week to launch! As time is running short I re-arranged my work schedule and took a day off yesterday. I wound up working on the boat for 13 hours straight, from 08:00 to 21:00. It was a long day, but progress was made. FirstĀ I worked on the keel. I sanded down the putty I laid in the …